GABRIEL FAGAN ARCHITECTS © 2018 

Chavonne Battery

The Chavonnes Battery was a fortification built in the early 18th Century to protect the bay and town.

Construction work started on the Alfred basin in 1861 and some of the stone and rubble from the site was used to create a breakwater. Further damage occurred when coal bunkers and later a fish factory were built over the site.

During the building of the V&A Waterfront, Fagan Architects restored the badly damaged ruins to serve as a museum and function venue.